The Persian Version is a 2023 American comedy drama film directed and written by Maryam Keshavarz. The film stars Layla Mohammadi, Niousha Noor, Bijan Daneshmand, Bella Warda, and Tom Byrne. It follows the struggles of a young Iranian-American woman who is often at odds with her family, particularly with her mother.
The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2023, where it won two awards, including the Audience Award for the U.S. Dramatic Competition. It had a limited theatrical release in the United States by Sony Pictures Classics and Stage 6 Films on October 20, 2023.
While her father recovers from a heart transplant, a young Iranian-American filmmaker clashes with her mother and learns of a family secret.
- Layla Mohammadi as Leila
- Chiara Stella as young Leila
- Niousha Noor as Shireen
- Kamand Shafieisabet as young Shireen
- Bijan Daneshmand as Ali Reza Jamshidpour
- Shervin Alenabi as young Ali Reza Jamshidpour
- Bella Warda as Mamanjoon
- Sachli Gholamalizad as young Mamanjoon
- Jerry Habibi as Abbas
- Arty Froushan as Majid
- Andrew Malik as Eman
- Tom Byrne as Maximillian Balthazar
- Samuel Tehrani as Shivaz
- Ash Goldeh as Babajoon
The Persian Version had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2023. It received a standing ovation from the audience. Shortly after, Sony Pictures Classics acquired distribution rights to the film.
The film was for a limited theatrical release in the United States on October 20, 2023. It was previously set for October 13, before being moved a week later to avoid competition with the concert film Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. It is scheduled to be released in the United Kingdom on February 2, 2024.
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, 82% of 72 critics’ reviews are positive, with an average rating of 6.6/10. The website’s consensus reads: “A vibrant portrait of culture clashes and generation gaps, The Persian Version gains added resonance through its spirited specificity.” Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 61 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating “generally favorable reviews”.
Nick Allen of RogerEbert.com called the film “an ebullient rule-breaker” and said it was “one of the most entertaining and moving experiences I’ve had at Sundance this year.”
* This biography or article is a copyright of Uzomedia TV, please refer-back to our blog if you wish to copy or pin back our articles.*
* For car insurance, Home Insurance, Insurance companies, Auto insurance Public liability insurance, Cheap Insurance, Loans,liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, small business insurance, Health and Fitness, Real Estate, Digital Marketing, Automobile and more visit our contact page.*