Masters of the Air is a 2024 American war drama streaming television miniseries created by John Shiban and John Orloff and developed by Orloff for Apple TV+. It is based on the 2007 book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany by Donald L. Miller and follows the actions of the 100th Bomb Group of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II, a unit nicknamed the “Bloody Hundredth” due to the heavy losses it incurred in combat missions. The series serves as a companion to Band of Brothers (2001) and The Pacific (2010). It is also the first series to be produced by Apple Studios, in cooperation with Playtone, and Amblin Television.
Filming began in England in 2021, but was delayed on several occasions due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Masters of the Air is set to premiere on January 26, 2024.
- Austin Butler as Major Gale Cleven
- Callum Turner as Major John Egan
- Anthony Boyle as Major Harry Crosby
- Barry Keoghan as Lt. Curtis Biddick
- Nikolai Kinski as Colonel Harold Huglin
- Stephen Campbell Moore as Major Marvin “Red” Bowman
- Sawyer Spielberg as Lt. Roy Frank Claytor
- Isabel May
- Nate Mann as Major Robert Rosenthal
- Raff Law as Sgt. Ken Lemmons
- Josiah Cross
- Branden Cook as 2nd Lt. Alexander Jefferson
- Ncuti Gatwa as 2nd Lt. Robert Daniels
- Kai Alexander as Sgt. William Quinn
- James Murray as Major Chic Harding
- Tommy Jessop
- Freddy Carter as Lt. David Friedkin
- Oaklee Pendergast as Sgt. William Hinton
- Louis Greatorex as Capt. Joseph Payne
- Adam Long as Capt. Bernard DeMarco
- Jordan Coulson as Lt. Howard Hamilton
- Fionn O’Shea as Sgt. Steve Bosser
- Max Hastings as Lt. Kenneth Allen
- Nitai Levi as Sgt. Paul A. Vrabec, Jr.
- Laurie Davidson as Lt. Herbert Nash
- Francis Lovehall as Captain Wendell O. Pruitt
- Luke Whoriskey as Lt. Randall Biller
- Bradley Banton as Lieutenant Lee “Buddy” Archer
- Edward Ashley as Lt. Col. John B. Kidd
- Kieron Moore as Sgt. Clifford Starkey
- David Shields as Major Everett Blakely
- Luke Coughlan as Sgt. James M. Johnson
- Jon Ewart as Lt. William Couch
- Daniel Briggs as Sgt. William Crabb
- George Smale as Lt. Raymond Nutting
- Jonathan Halliwell as Sgt. William J. DeBlasio
- John Schwab as Lt. Col. James W. Lann
- James Meunier as Lt. Kenneth Lorch
- Elliott Ross as Lt. Donald Strout
- Sam Hazeldine as Col. Albert Clark
- Darragh Cowley as Lt. Glenn Graham
- Elliot Warren as Lt. James Douglass
- Adam Silver as Lt. David Solomon
- Josh Bolt as Lt. Winifred “Pappy” Lewis
- Ben Radcliffe as Capt. John D. Brady
- Louis Sparks as Sgt. Lester Saunders
- Sonny Ashbourne Serkis as Lt. James Evans
- Jack Franklin as Charles Mylius
- Kwame Agyei as Lt. Joseph Evans Gordon
- Phillip Lewitski as Lt. Francis Harper
- Alex Boxall as Sgt. Monroe Thornton
- Rahshan Wall as Lt. Frederick D. Funderburg
- Christopher Lakewood as Col Thomas Jeffery
- Ian Dunnett Jnr as Lt. Ron Bailey
- Sid Phoenix as Ralph Nist
- Robert Hands as Major Gustav Simoleit
- Jojo Macari as Capt. Oran Petrich
- George Webster as Lt. Glenn W. Dye
- John Hopkins as Dr. Wendell “Smokey” Stover
- Sam Rosenthal as A. “Aaron” Jacobs
- Dimitri Leonidas
- Dean Ridge as FO. Richard L. Snyder
- Louis Hofmann as Ulrich Haussmann
- Joanna Kulig as Paulina
- Bel Powley as Alexandra “Sandra” Wingate
- Lauren McQueen as Rose
- Amelia Gething as Isabel
- Mimi Slinger as Sally
Reports of a third World War II-based miniseries in the same vein as Band of Brothers and The Pacific developed by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg began in October 2012, focusing on United States Army Air Forces aircrews of the Eighth Air Force. In January 2013, HBO confirmed it was developing the miniseries, based on Donald L. Miller’s book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany to be adapted by John Orloff and would specifically focus on the 100th Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force.
In October 2019, it was reported that Apple had made a deal with Spielberg’s and Hanks’s respective production companies to stream the series exclusively on Apple TV+ instead of HBO. In a statement, HBO later confirmed that it had decided not to move forward with the series. Deadline Hollywood reported the series contains ten episodes, at a total production cost of over $200 million, while The Hollywood Reporter said it contains nine episodes at a total cost of $250 million. The series was the first Apple TV+ series to go into production under the technology firm’s in-house production company, Apple Studios.
In October 2020, Cary Joji Fukunaga was announced to be directing the first three episodes of the series. In February 2021, Austin Butler and Callum Turner were cast to star in the series. Anthony Boyle and Nate Mann joined the cast in March, with Raff Law, James Murray and Tommy Jessop added in April. Freddy Carter revealed his casting in a May interview, while set photos revealed Barry Keoghan was also cast. In June, Dee Rees was announced as directing episodes of the series. In July, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck were also announced as directing episodes. Colleen Atwood served as costume designer.
In February 2021, it was reported that production had begun at Dalton Barracks in Oxfordshire, England. Retrospective temporary 12 month planning permission has been applied for at Newland Park, Chalfont St Peter, following the construction of a WWII barracks on the site. Filming paused briefly in July due to positive COVID-19 tests. Production also occurred in Hemel Hempstead. The series used on-set virtual production by Lux Machina for cockpit scenes.
Masters of the Air is set to premiere on Apple TV+ on January 26, 2024.
How to watch and download?
Masters of the Air 2024 television series can be watch and download on the Apple TV+ website or app.
* This biography or article is a copyright of Uzomedia TV, please refer-back to our blog if you wish to copy or pin back our articles.*
* For car insurance, Home Insurance, Insurance companies, Auto insurance Public liability insurance, Cheap Insurance, Loans,liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, small business insurance, Health and Fitness, Real Estate, Digital Marketing, Automobile and more visit our contact page.*